* Linda <haniganw...@earthlink.net> [2012-11-14 00:04 -0500]:
> I use dovecot with Maildir for the imap server. I can view the inbox fine
> but can't access or list  the subdirectories

I assume you can with other IMAP clients, right?

> Here is the .muttrc lines that would be relevant
>
> set spoolfile=imap://office-mail@star/
> set folder=imap://office-mail@star/
> set record=imap://office-mail@star/Sent
> set imap_user=office-mail
>
> [snips...]
>
> I am pretty sure I need to change ~/maildir to something but don't
> know what to use in its place.  Also I changed mailboxes from Mail to
> Maildir but it doesn't seem to change anything. I also tired a set
> mask command I found in some howtos but then I lost the inbox.

For another technique, you may want to try using one (or both) of the
following two options available for IMAP:

        imap_check_subscribed
        imap_list_subscribed

When I used dovecot directly (now I use offlineimap with dovecot) I did
not set my mailboxes explicitly, but allowed imap_check_subscribed to do
that for me.  The only settings I had (IMAP related) to make things work
(this was with dovecot 1.2/2.0/2.1) follow.

#v+
set folder=imaps://mx.weller-fahy.com   # default location (value of = or +)
set spoolfile=+INBOX                    # initial folder (delivery location)
set mbox=+INBOX                         # read mail from "$spoolfile" goes here

set imap_user=d...@weller-fahy.com
set imap_idle
set imap_check_subscribed
set imap_headers="X-SPAM-STATUS X-SPAM-LEVEL"
unset imap_passive
#v-

So, in your case you may want to try the following.  Note I have removed
the slash at the end of "imap://office-mail@star", if that is required
to access your folders, please put it back ;).  Another thing, I noticed
you did not list an explicit INBOX, so I'm assuming there's a reason for
that and not including it.  If, however, there *is* an explicit INBOX in
the IMAP account, make sure you change spoolfile to be "+INBOX" (and,
possibly, your mbox to "+INBOX" as well).

#v+
set folder=imap://office-mail@star
set spoolfile=+
set mbox=+
set record=+Sent

set imap_user=office-mail
set imap_check_subscribed
#v-

One last thing that I noticed was the folder setting: Are all your
folders under the INBOX on your IMAP server?  Or are they at the same
level as the INBOX?

Hope that helps or leads you in the right direction.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]