* On 20 Nov 2012, Linda wrote:
> I am dialing in to an ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine that has mutt with
> hyperterminal on windows 7. When it displays the index some of the subjects
> are garbage characters instead of the subject. I tried set charset=UTF8 and
> set charset=ISO-8859-1 but neither solves the problem. Does anyone have a
> suggestion on how to get this to work?

I don't use Windows much, but I seem to recall noting that
HyperTerminal's terminal emulation is very bad.  I wish I had facts
rather than anecdote at hand.  But, not meaning to be glib, I'd suggest
trying Putty or Tera Term instead.  Both support serial connections (in
addition to ssh and telnet) and I know that I've used them with success,
though I've forgotten details.

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.62/htmldoc/Chapter4.html#config-serial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tera_Term

--