On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 01:40:43PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
I've noticed lately that when I load mutt (defaulting to my Fastmail.fm
INBOX) or when switching from another mailbox back to the INBOX, that
the time to display due to fetching message headers takes quite a while.

Is it fetching headers, or just the flags?

I'm using IMAP and have a headers directory created in my /home folder
which is populated with entries and the following in my .muttrc:

set header_cache="~/.mutt/headers"

The headers directory is permission 755 and the directories within are
700.

I've got ~20,000 messages in the INBOX, but other mailboxes (for mailing
lists) have more messages but are evaluated and headers fetched much
faster.

Just looking for some things to investigate that I may have overlooked.
This is on a Mac if that makes any difference and using mutt 1.5.21.

The only thing I can think of is to enable debug support and make sure that the UIDVALIDITY on your INBOX is not changing, which would cause mutt to reload the entire set of headers each time you open the mailbox.