On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 03:45:06PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:28:09PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> > > Yes, I do. If there is a new unread message in the mail box and I
> > > enter and leave it is still contains an unread message that resides
> > > in the .mailbox/new directory. I'm sorry that I still don't get it.
> >
> > New mail is flagged with an N, old unread mail is flagged with an O, new
> > mail is mail that has appeared in the "mailbox" *since* it was last
> > opened/visited.
> >
> > If you leave/close a "mailbox" where there is mail flagged with an N,
> > the flag will change to an O, this allows the distinction between New
> > unread mail, and old unread mail.
> >
> > Is that any clearer?
> >
> Yes (not the OP here though), however it has always seemed odd to me
> that I can't get mutt to take me to all/any mailboxes which have
> *unread* mail in them.  I.e. I want 'c' to take me to the next mailbox
> with unread mail in it, *not* to the next mailbox with new mail in it.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Can't you just toggle mark_old then? Or am I missing something?

    3.122. mark_old

    Type: boolean
    Default: yes

    Controls whether or not mutt marks new unread messages as old if you
    exit a mailbox without reading them. With this option set, the next
    time you start mutt, the messages will show up with an “O” next to
    them in the index menu, indicating that they are old.

There's also this:

    3.117. mail_check_recent

    Type: boolean
    Default: yes

    When set, Mutt will only notify you about new mail that has been
    received since the last time you opened the mailbox. When unset,
    Mutt will notify you if any new mail exists in the mailbox,
    regardless of whether you have visited it recently.

    When $mark_old is set, Mutt does not consider the mailbox to contain
    new mail if only old messages exist.
--
Brandon Sandrowicz
: