* Alexander Gattin <xr...@yandex.ru> [01-09-13 13:46]:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:54:57AM -0500, Patrick
> Shanahan wrote:
> > no, not so.  And I can do the same from windoz.  It is nothing to do
> > with *nix but with *configuration* of your mailing system.
>
> nope, what you describe is UNIX/ARPA mail, nothing to do with Windoze --

windoz utilizes the mailing methods that we in place when m$ decided to
join the rest of the world, but they commonly disregard standards in order
to maintain control of the boxes/users they have.

> but there are certain problems, like your account/auth info hosted on
> gmail/yahoo/whatever instead of the defaul mail forwarder on your ISP.

My mail is not *hosted* on gmail/yahoo.  I do have accounts there but only
use their services to receive mail, never to post unless using their web
service as previously explained.

> And gmail accepting your mail submitted via your ISP is big bloody hole,
> and we both know that.

What planet are we on.  My mail is forwarded by my isp as routed in
postfix with any "From:Addr" I choose, which accomplishes nothing more
than supplying a "reply-to" address.  The only place to see the *true*
sending addr is the mail envelope.

GMail receives my posts from what-ever list involved as any other post.
It is *not* forwarding my mail, I have routed my isp via postfix to do
that.

> > But it is a major pain to do your own smtp from a non-dedicated
> > domain.
>
> Almost everyone is using msmtp instead of sendmail/qmail/exim/postfix
> these days.

Far out.  Most I know use postfix and a few qmail/exim.

> > afa port 25, some isp's block port 25 service, but this is easily
> > worked around.
>
> Wrong -- outgoing port 25 is blocked here (EV-DO) for everyone, but I
> didn't check it for my other [DOCSIS] ISP.

The only thing "Wrong" is your allegation.  Port 25 is not blocked for me
and I didn't say it was open for everyone, but it is for me.  And port 25
is still commonly used for mail.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member