* Marco <net...@lavabit.com> [2013-01-13 11:57 -0500]:
> what does the star in the index view of a thread represent?
>
> ├─>
> ├─>
> │ └─>
> │   └─>
> └*>     <--- this is what I'm talking about
>   └─>
>
> It's probably explained somewhere in the manual, but frankly, I have
> no clue what to search for.

I couldn't find it in the manual, but if I remember correctly that star
indicates the message is part of a "pseudo-thread", meaning the message
marked with a star does not have the References and/or In-Reply-To
messages headers set, and thus is only associated with that thread
because the Subject header matches that of the rest of the Thread.  Try
setting "strict_threads" temporarily - if the starred message jumps to a
new thread then that is probably what it is.

HTH,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]