----- Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> [2013-02-12 18:16:11 -0700] ----- :

> Luis Mochan wrote:
> > my system, /usr/bin/mutt is a link pointing to
> > /etc/alternatives/mutt. Furthermore, /etc/alternatives/mutt is a link
> > pointing to /usr/bin/mutt-patched, which is the actual binary for the
> > ...nice description of alternatives...
>
> Some time ago I posted this following in a discussion about the Debian
> alternatives and it includes a walkthrough of how alternatives are
> used and configured.  I think it is still relevant.  Perhaps it will
> help others understand how the alternatives work.
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/08/msg02808.html
>
> Don't be confused by the topic of vi, nvi, vim, elvis differences.
> That is the just carrier wave upon which the Debian alternatives topic
> is discussed.  Just scroll down a page past that and look at the
> walkthrough part.
>
> Bob
>
> P.S. Wow.  Time flies!

Indeed it does! I believe Fedora/Redhat systems have a similar way of
selecting which package/program should be your default using an
"alternatives-type" command. Useful for Linux users. In fact, I belive
Macports also has a similar way of selecting "ports" the user might
prefer. I do use Macports but hardly use my Mac now, other than to watch
tv. If anyone wants to buy a Mac mini, Core i5 dual-core, 4G RAM let me
know LOL. It's become pretty redundant to me now.

Jamie.

--
Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D  B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38