On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 01:39:43PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> >> mutt didn't need that header to operate well in the original folder.
> >> In general,  can't think of any reason to modify any Maildir message on
> >> disk
> >> and view this as tainting the msgs with unecessary and un-asked-for mods.
> >
> > well, they don't really hurt, but may even help mutt and other tools.
>
> 'Really' hurt or 'may' help is not relevant, and vague. The msg file is being
> tampered with on disk when, as far as I know, there is no RFC or other such
> non-optionable specification requiring such modification. Though I'm
> still searching for one and would like to read it to make sure of this,
> I've not found such spec requirement yet.

I wouldn't bother searching any further -- mailbox formats are generally
(and IMO wrongly) regarded as outside the scope of RFCs and suchlike.

> > Please answer me one question: what kind of crypto/archive system do you
> > use that does not understand Maildir in it's whole and what kind of use
> > case does it have.
>
> Unix people commonly store the hashes of every file on disk. They rehash
> and compare using various tools at various intervals. When those hashes
> change, it may indicate any number of potentially bad things, from security
> to apps/hardware gone bad.

What happens if you chmod a-w them?  I sympathize with the crypto hash
change problem, but there are other ways of protecting your files.

> >> What else is being surreptitiously modified during mutt operation?
>
> > Well, I think you should check mutt's codepath yourself if you want to
> > know that exactly. That's why it's called open source.
>
> Open source isn't supposed to change people's files like this unless
> required by some specification. This would be like an image or mp3 editor
> or Microsoft Office adding metadata to all your such files just because it
> wanted to. In the absense of documentation saying 'oh, by the way, we do
> this, and here's a way to opt out...', that's generally very taboo with open
> source and shouldn't have to be checked for.

Huh?  "Open source" shouldn't do it?  Either it's good practice or it's
bad practice; whether the source code is freely available or not seems
immaterial to me.  I certainly agree that it should be documented,
however.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <nkui...@nkuitse.com>