On Sep 09, 2013 at 02:31 AM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
That would remove the editor choice restriction, and so would be more
universal once it exits. Added to that, draft encryption integrated
into mutt uses less keystrokes and requires less user concentration than
encryption provided by the editor.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I can say this. I was playing around with encryption recently and tried out encrypting a mutt draft in Vim. You encrypt it, then save the file, and once you are back in mutt, postpone the message. It worked fine, as long as you are ok with all the mail headers being encrypted and thus inaccessible to mutt when you recall the draft. I have no idea how offlineimap or isync would have dealt with the file, since it certainly wasn't in the right format for an email message.

I also concur, draft encryption in mutt would be easier to use. It would also prevent having several types of encryption being used at the same time.