>>    "%4C %Z %?X?@& ? %{%b %d} %-15.15n (%?M?ยป%3M&%4c?) %s"
>>
> This is fantastic. This answers my question, before I had time to ask
> it. Could you please describe how this works: "%?X?@& ?"

Those are string formatting directives.

First of all, you need to be searching the Mutt manual as a matter of
routine.  Open a browser such as Firefox or Iceweasel, and use the browser
to open the file /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/index.html .  Then from the EDIT
menu of the browser click FIND to open the string search window.

Now you can search for strings such as "format" and "string".  If you
search, you shall find sections on topics such as "status format" and
"index format" which sections explain formatting  and the symbols.

You also shall find the comment: "Format strings are similar to the
strings used in the C function printf to format output (see the man page
for more detail)."

So now you open a terminal window and type "man printf".

RLH

Give a man a fish, and tomorrow he shall return expecting another.
Teach a man to fish, and tomorrow he shall return to give you thanks.
=========