On 2014-04-15, Chris Down <ch...@chrisdown.name> wrote:
> Grant Edwards writes:
>> I though mutt supported IMAP's IDLE command.  That should reduce the
>> latency to well under a second.
>
> At least in my experience, IMAP IDLE on mutt results in sporadic
> lockups (on Google Apps, at least). The only solution I found was to set
> mail_check and timeout to a low(ish) value. In the end I just downloaded
> my mail locally and read it from there.

Ah, that's good to know.  I gernally don't leave mutt running all the
time, so I never messed with IDLE or polling settings.

I have a simple GTK IMAP mail notifier app which lights up a button on
my desktop when there's mail (clicking the button then starts a
terminal running mutt). The IMAP mail notifier does use IDLE with
gmail's IMAP server, and doesn't seem to have any problems.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! As President I have
                                  at               to go vacuum my coin