On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 09:45:15PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Do you have a remote client getting mail from that
> mailbox which isn't configured to keep the mail on
> the server?

no, I just retrieve mail from two providers using

        /usr/bin/fetchmail -a -U -d 30 -L /var/log/fetchmail.log \
                               --auth password \
                               -m '/usr/bin/procmail  -d %T'

procmail stores into /var/mail/<user> and the only other program
that - to my knowledge - accesses that file is mutt.
To prevent further losses, I now added a .procmailrc requesting
procmail to make a copy into another file.

        ulrich