On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:45:13AM -0500, Peter P. wrote:
> * Andre Klärner <kan...@ak-online.be> [2014-11-11 21:01]:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > On Tue 11.11.2014 16:08:21, Peter P. wrote:
> > > I am having a strange problem with different font/color behavior of
> > > two instances of mutt with almost identical configuration files. These
> > > two instances run on separate machines and otherwise have the same
> > > behavior.
> > > [...]
> > > I checked several variables such as
> > >     TERM=xterm
> > >     XTERM_LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
> > >     XTERM_SHELL=/bin/bash
> > >     XTERM_VERSION='XTerm(312)'
> > > and they are identical on both machines.
> >
> > do you use the exactly same terminal? Do you ssh to one of the machines? I
> > would take a look at the terminal configuration, some allow you to disable
> > boldness or switch bold and bright separately.
> Thank you Andre for this advice! I am indeed shh-ing into one of the
> machines, actually into the one where bold under the indicator bar
> works. But that ssh session runs inside the same xterm terminal, which
> I assume to have the same configuration in both cases. Ssh itself
> would presumably not change font settings I guess and I tried with
> identical .bashrc files and the difference stayed.
>
> If anyone else has a clue where I could be looking, I'd greatly
> appreciate any hints!

Each mutt will be sending terminal control sequences based
on what its local terminfo definition says.  There might be
a difference in their respective xterm definitions.

Use "infocmp > xterm-$(hostname)" on each machine.  Copy the
remote version to the local machine.  Then, on the local
machine run "infocmp -F xterm-<localhost> xterm-<remotehost>".
If they are identical you will get something like this:

  In file 1 (xterm-local) only:
  In file 2 (xterm-remote) only:
  The following entries are equivalent:
  xterm = xterm
  Differing entries:

If there are differences, that may be the problem.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)