On 2015-05-27, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> The part of the documentation about the "ignore" command talks about
> "patterns".  As far as I can see it never precisely says what kind of
> patterns these are - regexps, shell globs, fixed substrings, or what.

Look in the mutt manual for Chapter 4, Advanced Usage, and Section
2, Patterns: Searching, Limiting and Tagging.

> The reason I ask is I had "x-" as one of the patterns, precisely as the
> documentation suggests (in an offhand example).  But Mario's posts from
> today have an X-URL header and it was not weeded.  It is when I add
> "x-url" to the ignore.  What gives?

Patterns are case-insensitive as long as they contain only
lower-case letters.  If you include an upper-case letter in a
pattern, or include a range (e.g., [a-z]) that because of your
locale includes an upper-case letter, the pattern becomes
case-sensitive.  That could be why "x-url" in the pattern is not
matching "X-URL" in the header, but that's just a guess.

Regards,
Gary