I have in the past on occasion used mutt in ways that required it to
completely download largish numbers of messages from an IMAP server (say, to
migrate between servers, or simply to create an up-to-date message cache).
Mutt will then in the status line at the bottom display something like
"Fetching message... x/y (z%)", where the values of x,y,z are per individual
message.  While that may be useful for few, possibly large, messages, it's
somewhat annoying that there is no overall progress indicator.

Ideally, I would like it to display something along the lines

  "Fetching message X/Y (Z%)... x/y (z%)"

where capital letters are for overall progress, and lowercase ones for
individual messages.  I don't think this can be done out of the box with
1.5.23.  I'd be happy to be proved wrong, and equally happy to dive into the
source and see if I can "fix" it, but I'm wondering if (a) I'm missing
something, and (b) if a patch exists, if necessary.