jonas hedman wrote:

>    Secret =E5=E4=F6 =C5=C4=D6"

As the header shows, the =E5 characters are quoted-printable encoding.

Mutt is encoding the characters because the PGP/MIME RFC (3156) says all
8-bit characters for pgp/signed message MUST be encoded.  (I am guessing
you are both signing and encrypting the messages.)

Email clients should generally deal with this correctly, and decode the
content before displaying it.  If for some reason, the recipients are
viewing the content outside of a MUA, they may want to use the qprint
utility to decode and view the content.

> 2. Why doesn't this problem show up when encrypting inline style?

Inline style has no such mandate.  If allow_8bit is set and you are also
encrypting the message (which ascii-armors the output), then Mutt allows
the 8-bit encoding.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy
http://www.8t8.us/configs/gpg-key-transition-statement.txt