On 17Jun15 12:37 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 09:36:44PM +0200, bastian-muttu...@t6l.de wrote:
> > On 13Jun15 22:55 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > I think it is worth to solve the trouble of file permissions. FMPOV this
> > behaviour is not typical to unix philosophy, because you cannot
> > influence file modes via the umask syscall.
>
> This is wrong.  The file permissions are what they are quite
> specifically and intentionally for security reasons.  If you want to
> make the files less secure, you are required to make a conscious
> decision on a case-by-case basis, and take action to do so, and that
> is as it should be.

Right, I want to make files less secure and I really know a lot about
the implications. The point where I see room for improvement is the
lack of configurability to be able to change the behaviour of writing
out attachment files - not mailbox files. Everything tends to be
configurable in mutt. Whereas, hard-coding umask and file mode bits does
not look like the ultimate mutt-like solution FMPOV.

> This issue has been discussed and debated ad nauseum in the past, and
> this is one of those cases where the developers should do (and have
> done) what is right without regard to what the users want, because
> what the users want is simply just plain wrong--but they've proven too
> difficult to be convinced of that.  I'm not going to rehash the
> argument here; if you search the archives, you should find the
> discussion.
>
> Whether anyone likes it or not, the fact is that when it comes to
> software security, most users--and even a large portion of the
> developers--just don't have any idea what they are talking about, and
> to some extent people who know better need to make the decision for
> them to prevent the possibility of bad things happening on a
> wide-spread basis.  This is one of those cases--the small
> inconvenience of having to manually change the permissions is VASTLY
> outweighed by the harm that could be done by allowing for the file
> permissions to be less restrictive by default.

I can still survive while doing that. But I have to admit, I do not get
the clue, why I should want my attachment files to be handled in an
imposed and uninfluenceable 'top-secret' manner. All other files I work
with in the same 'classification level' are created with the umask
setting I chose in .profile.

> However, it would be good to document this somewhere, since it's come
> up more than once.

Cheers,
--
Bastian