On 24.06.15 09:00, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> When there are too many folders with new mail, the buffy notification
> mechanism truncates the list and replaces the rest with "...".  But not
> all folders are equally important, and it so happens that for me the
> folders that make it to the visible list are always the least important
> ones :(
>
> So, is there a way to control or influence the order so the important
> folders come first, and avoid being chopped off the list?

The "mailboxes" list sets priority. Not only does it set the order in
which mailboxes with new mail are offered as default for a 'c', it also
determines the ordering of the buffy list, perhaps because it is the
same.

Here are the results of a quick test:

Initially, there was mail in only one lower priority mailbox:

=gcc-patches

After I sent a mail to myself, a post to binutils also arrived,
and I pressed '.' to have an immediate display:

New mail in /var/spool/mail/erik, =binutils_u

That's the _newest_ mail, excluding the stale new mail from the prior
report, AIUI. However, pressing '.' again gives:

New mail in /var/spool/mail/erik, =gcc-patches, =binutils_u

Now the report is complete and prioritised.

That convenient two-level reporting does admittedly not appear to be
documented in the manual.

Erik

--
manual, n.:
A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a given item.