On 29Jun2015 20:02, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you tried:

COMMAND /usr/bin/safari %s

(use the correct path for safari on your system)

OSX desktop apps tend not to live in the /usr/bin etc places.

The standard way to bring up a URL (or, indded, most other things) in a desktop app is what the OP recited:

 open URL

which will open the appropriate app for whatever it is.

You can be specific by going:

 open -a safari URL

to hand it to safari.

One thing that can happen if the caller is in something like tmux or screen is that the session can survive a desktop login/logout and one needs to use a special tool to reattach to the current desktop before commands like "open" will work again. But it doesn't sound like that is the OP's problem.

I would suggest to the OP that they change their config to explicitly request safari to see of the behaviour changes:

 open -a safari %s

Also, they could augument their config to see if the command is being fired at all, or being fired incorrectly:

 exec 2>>$HOME/some-logfile.txt; set -x; open -a safari %s

and tail that log file from outside.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>