[14/07 12:59] Jon LaBadie:

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 05:29:23PM +0100, Larry Hynes wrote:
[14/07 12:42] Eric Smith:

>It works for me consistantly with imap and with maildir.
>Faster and the files in the header_cache dir are uopdated.
>Nope on both counts with mbox.
>
>What is the reason for this?

From the manual: "Mutt provides optional support for caching message headers for the
following types of folders: IMAP, POP, Maildir and MH." mbox is not mentioned,
presumably because caching of message headers is not supported for the mbox format?

I'm confused.  mbox is a storage format.  POP is a message transfer
protocol.  I use POP to transfer from an mbox file on the server
to an mbox file on my desktop.

Is caching supported because I use POP
or not supported because I use mbox?

Well, there lies a quandary for the ages. The wiki doesn't mention POP as a "folder
format", so presumably it is an impostor at the feet of which you may lay your
confusion.

The wiki does, however, provide one more small clue for the OP... "If you happend
(sic) to choose either MH or Maildir, you can improve performance by using header
caching..."

http://dev.mutt.org/trac/wiki/FolderFormat