On 03.06.16 17:22, Xu Wang wrote:
> Interesting. To reproduce what i see, you can do following steps:
>
> 1. move the file (temporarily but be sure to back up) ~/sent
> 2. in mutt, do
> set record="~/sent"
> 3. send an email with "From " in the body
> 4. Open in vim or in mutt+vim ~/sent file.
>
> I think you will then see that no escape is there.

Having used mutt to send one of the test emails, it was enough to just
look in ~/mail/sent. Like you, I haven't seen any mention in the mutt
manual, of its interpretation of mbox format. But the mbox manpage does
say:

| Besides MBOXO and MBOXRD there is also MBOXCL which is MBOXO with
| a "Content-Length:"-field with the number of bytes in the message
| body; some MUAs (like mutt(1)) do automatically transform MBOXO
| mailboxes into MBOXCL ones when ever they write them back as MBOXCL
| can be read by any MBOXO-MUA without any problems.

How the last statement can be logically supported eludes me, as a regex
search works with MBOXO, but fails with MBOXCL, disproving it instantly.

It does, though, neutralise any rational aversion based on quoting, to
use of mbox format together with mutt, if the MDA also uses MBOXCL.
(I will admit to not having found anything in man procmailrc to allow
one to make that tweak.)

Erik

--
The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them.
                                                        - Andy Tanenbaum