On 03Jul2016 00:50, Xu Wang <xuwang...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you very much for the replies, Will and Cameron.

Yes, these workarounds work fine for my personal setup. However, I am
working on scripts that I would like to release for other users to
use. I do not want to require other users to refactor their .muttrcs
just to use the scripts. Creating user-friendsly scripts is what
motivates me.

And fair enough too. I suspect then that you must explicitly invoke mutt as needed. This:

 mutt -F /dev/null -e 'source muttrc1' -e 'source muttrc2' ...

is probably the cleanest way to invoke mutt without reliance on the user's .muttrc, and to source whatever config you intend. You can add the "-n" option to also bypass and system muttrc file.

Does this help?

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>