On 02.08.16 08:05, Yubin Ruan wrote:
? Attribution lost upthread:
> > Normal practice for mutt users is to file messages with a separate
> > program as they are collected. This works best with local storage:
> > we collect our email from the server with POP or IMAP and store in
> > local folders on our computers.  We can walk you through setting up
> > such an arrangement if you decide you want to go this way.
>
> If there's some common practice I would really appreciate to hear some.
> Figuring
> it out myself is kind of hard.

Hey, this is *nix. It's only when someone says "You're all individuals."
that any of is likely to pipe up from the back with "I'm not!". ;-)

Googling for "procmail howto" showed more help than an average
old-school user would normally need, first up.
But there is much procmail config guidance in the procmailrc manpage.
(And it's first line says: "For a quick start, see NOTES at the end of
the procmail(1) man page." That shows how it might be automatically
invoked.
There's also "man procmailex" for useful examples.
Subscribing to the procmail mailing list would help while learning.

While learning, it might also be an idea to use an initial copying
recipe to duplicate all incoming mail in a backup mailbox, since it is
possible to lose mails by writing a faulty delivery recipe. (Look for
"safety net" in "man procmailex".

The manpages seem to be included in the procmail .deb package - at least
I don't see a procmail-doc package to bother with.

Erik