On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:03:40PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 09:43:22AM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
>
> > The documentation for setlocale() says a value of "" will cause the
> > locale to be modified by environment variables, so it seems like this is
> > what we would want in the index, isn't it?
>
> Yes.  But moreover, why is setlocale being called more than once, in
> different ways?

I'm guessing the LC_TIME setting might have an effect on other
operations in Mutt, so it keeps it at "C" except when it needs to
generate visible output.

I think the first call should always be something like:
  setlocale (LC_TIME, NONULL (Locale));
and that Locale ($locale) setting should default to "", so that
Mutt by default will respect the users's environment.

I'll play with this and post something on mutt-dev.  Let's continue the
conversation there.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy