On 30-09-2016, at 00h 28'03", Konstantin Ovsov wrote about "Re: attachments
name non english symbol"
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2016, 10:44:19, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> >
> > Do you forward only the attachments? How do you do that?
>
> Yes, only forwarded attachments. I press 'v' (view-attachments), select the
> attachment, press 'f' and send a mail.

Interesting, Konstantin. I did not know that :-)

> But the other reason. If the filename of the attachment is not
> POSIX-compatible, Mutt substitutes for all not POSIX-symbols on '_'.

I can confirm that. I created a file with the name "з" (Russian zet)
and I send it myself. In the email, I selected the attachment and
press f to forward the attachment. The attachment name was changed to
__. I did the same with a filename called ' ' (just a space). The
filename was changed into _. I repeated the process with a filename
măr (apple in Romanian). The filename was changed into m__r. Annoying,
indeed...

> Thank you again, Ionel.

What I can tell you is that
1. mutt_sanitize_filename is not UTF-8 aware (otherwise з would be
replaced with one _ and not two.
2. I do not think you can disable the usage of mutt_sanitize_filename
from mutt variables. You will need to alter the code and re-compile.
Searching with google mutt_sanitize_filename will give some ideas.
If you create a patch you can reuse it everytime you wish to install a
new version of mutt.
3. A work-around: create a copy of the message. Delete the unwanted
attachments. Forward the entire message with F. The filename will keep.

Good luck.

Ionel