On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 02:46:42AM +0200, Peter P. wrote:
> Interesting! man muttrc tells me that the default for crypt_use_gpgme is no.

Yes, but I believe they changed the system muttrc to enable it (likely
in /etc/Muttrc.d/gpg.rc.  Your own muttrc is read afterwards and so can
override that setting.

> Nevertheless when I
>       unset crypt_use_gpgme
> or
>       set unset crypt_use_gpgme=no
> the problem remains.

Which problem are you speaking of?  This will not magically allow you to
read emails encrypted in the recent past using gpgme (that therefore
were not also encrypted to you).  It should make emails sent henceforth
be encrypted to you again.

> How could I debug this further?

Well, first I am assuming that this is a recent change in behavior, and
that prior to the mutt upgrade in Debian you had no trouble reading your
encrypted emails sent to others.

You might check that those older sent emails are still readable by you.

To make sure the option is off, type
  :set ?crypt_use_gpgme
and mutt should echo back 'crypt_use_gpgme is unset'

Also note that this option needs to be (un)set in your muttrc and mutt
must to be restarted; you can't change it interactively to effect.

> Btw, is there any advantage of switching to gpgme?

The classic interface has some built-in size limits to the number of
recipients.  It also requires setting $pgp_use_gpg_agent appropriately
depending on if you are using gpg 1.4, 2.0, or 2.1.

However, the classic interface is better tested.  There's a lot of gpgme
code that I haven't looked at in detail, and there will likely be more
bugs that need to be shaken out of it.

> How would I add my own key to the encryption in gpgme?

You could try adding an 'encrypt-to' setting in your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy