Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:

> It sounds likely that the stats check is causing these brief hangs,
> given the amount of mail you mentioned having.
>
> It isn't very useful to have $timeout set so low.  I would bump that up
> to >= $mail_check (60).  That might help a little.
>
> However, if it isn't super important to list the number of messages in
> the sidebar or folder browser, you may want to just turn
> $mail_check_stats off.

Going to give it a try. I had `%m` in my `$folder_format`, so I removed that
(it wasn't super useful anyway). Having `%N` in sidebar format is definitely
useful, but I am going to see how I go without `$mail_check_stats` and keeping
`%N`; this will make the counts stale (or missing) until I synchronize a given
mailbox. If this gets too annoying I'll remove `%N`, I guess. If this cures the
hangs though I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for the advice!

-Greg