On 28.02.17 12:27, Bill Starrs wrote:
> What I am looking to do is edit the headers of existing messages in my work
> Inbox to add the Follow-up Flag, and sync those changes back to the Exchange
> server with IMAP so that my flags are present in Outlook on my work machine.

OK, for post-processing old emails, you could set edit_headers in mutt,
and hit 'e' to then add the header in the editor. In vim, I'd use a
mapping to do it on a single keystroke. That's a fairly painless edit,
and perhaps simplest, unless the old emails are very numerous and in
maildir format, so you could feed a selection of them through sed or awk
to add the X-Message-Flag header in bulk.

To control what's there for editing, I have:

set edit_headers=yes
ignore *
unignore  In-reply-to References Reply-To cc To From Date Subject
hdr_order In-reply-to References Reply-To cc To From Date Subject

some just for information or deletion.

The closest received message editing usage I have is to send myself an
email as a reminder, then later edit it with updates, until it is
resolved and can be deleted/archived. There are worse places than the
primary inbox for reminders.

Erik