Well, just when I thought I'd never need to ask a question here again
:-)

I started writing a script which will run as a sink of <pipe-entry> from
the attachment view.  I spent some minutes to make the script correctly
(I thought) skip over the MIME headers, and only start the real
processing after the empty line that separates the headers and the
body.  Then I saved a test attachment to a file.  I tried both a
straight save, and a pipe to a cat command.  In either case, no headers
are present, and neither is the separator line; the file just contains
the body and that's that.

I am confused.  Is there a way to save a MIME part in mutt that includes
the headers?

FWIW, pipe_decode is unset.