On 07Feb2018 20:35, Scott Kostyshak <skostys...@ufl.edu> wrote:
Example (untested):

 message-hook . 'set my_hdr_colour=green'
 message-hook ~p!~l 'set my_hdr_colour=yellow'
 message-hook . 'color header $my_hdr_colour default'

so that a colour is chosen per message, then applied to your settings.

I think that does the trick! I had to change the last of the three hooks
to be the following (note the dot at the end):

 message-hook . 'color header $my_hdr_colour default .'

Ah, yes.

Thank you very much for taking the time to understand what I was trying
to achieve, and for the helpful solution, Cameron.

Glad to be of service,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)

All the doors in this ship have nice sunny dispositions. It is their
pleasure to open for you, and their satisfaction to close with the knowledge
of a job well done.     - Marvin _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_