On 05.07.18 12:53, David Woodfall wrote:
> I've just set up things so that record=^ which works fine, and I
> copied a bunch of old sent messages to a folder to see the whole
> thread.  However I see the thread order is broken.

OK, we have "set sort=threads", as the above implies some threads
showing.

> I tried setting strict_threads but it doesn't help.

That just reduces threading, by disabling pseudo-threading.
Having $strict_threads and $sort_re unset should compensate for missing
threading headers, perhaps too much, if a subject recurs in later
threads.

> EG I have a thread with a friend (he uses the email app in Win10 and
> the messages have outlook.com IDs) and checked all his Message-ID and
> all my In-Reply-To and they look like they should match properly.
> Each message contains the correct ID and Reference AFAICS.
>
> Any ideas what to try to solve this?

What happens to the headers when you use & to join a tagged mail to a
thread? Presumably the thread display is now OK, and the change in the
headers will show whether it's In-Reply-To or a Reference that was
missing. (Whenever I've done that, mutt has added an In-Reply-To, IIRC.)

Erik