On 03Aug2018 14:42, Orm Finnendahl <orm.finnend...@selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de>
wrote:
I wrote a shell script to specify an fcc for the sender of an email
and insert it into .muttrc and bound it to ".f".

Is there a way to automatize sourcing the .muttrc after the insertion?

Please, just "automate" :-(

I don't think so. You could half way do it by making macros for several common mutt keystrokes to test for a changed muttrc and resource things before doing the primary action, but that feels cumbersome and fragile.

On the other hand, doing that for a choice specific set, such as just before composing a new message, is less cumbersome, less fragile, and far less impactful to perfomance.

On a related issue:

When sourcing the .muttrc (using ": source ~/.muttrc") the mail
entries get resorted. Is there a way to inhibit this sorting?

Likely your .muttrc sets the sorting criteria, and that resorted the index.

If you separate your .muttrc into a few files:

 - fixed settings (eg your attributed etc)
 - default initial settings (eg your sorting)
 - modifiable settings (eg list of mail aliases etc which might be updated)

and make your main .muttrc source all 3 then you could just not source your muttrc, instead sourcing only the relevant file such as that last "modifiable settings" file. Then your sorting should not change.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>