On 29.10.18 12:56, Bastian wrote:
> As I rely on mutt to check for new mails and then send a bell to its
> terminal, it happens that I miss new incoming (urgent) mails. The reason
> simply is, that mutt waits/sleeps until the compose editor returns. Or
> perhaps checking for new mails is only active on the index view.

Or, perhaps, one mutt instance, but an external mail arrival monitor?
E.g.:

asmail - AfterStep mail monitor
biff - a mail notification tool
coolmail - Mail notifier with 3d graphics
gnubiff - mail notification program for GNOME (and others)
newmail - Notificator for incoming mail
xbuffy - monitor mailboxes and/or newsgroups
xlbiff - X Literate Biff. Displays From and Subject lines of your new mail

and maybe:

mail-notification - mail notification in system tray
mailcheck - Check multiple mailboxes/maildirs for mail

I used xbiff 25 yrs ago, on Solaris. One or more of the above might be
similar ... or better, e.g. xlbiff.

Erik