On 20181119, steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the alias functionality very often, but there is one thing
> lacking or that I haven't found yet.
>
> Let's say I have a group alias like this
>
> alias group1 a,b,c,d
>
> and a simple one like this
>
> alias joe j...@example.com
>
> Now, I would like to create a new message with m, then the TO field
> appears and I type group1 which fills that field with the four
> recipients. Then I get the subject field and then I can edit the message
> with my editor, vim in my case.
>
> Now if I want to add joe to the CC field, I cannot use the alias, I must
> enter it manually. This case happens so often for me that I'm looking
> for a way to simplify this process. I don't know if using aliases is the
> right way to go, I don't see how to add joe to the group group1 AND ask
> that it goes in the CC filed and not in the TO field.

You can use aliases in the editor, they just don't autocomplete.  Put "joe" in
the Cc: header with the editor; when mutt picks up the edited email, it expands
it.  The few times I forget someone's alias and would otherwise rely on mutt
expansion, I edit the alias file to remind myself.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & wood chipper / fe...@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933