On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:42:02 +0100, steve wrote:
> I have a new box for about two months and it appears that each time mutt
> segfaults, the console freezes and I have to hard stop the machine. Here
> is what I have in /var/log/kernel.log:

When you say "the console freezes": are you able to log in normally
using another virtual terminal or ssh session or anything?  Or is the
system fully locked up, no longer responding to pings, etc.?  Does the
syslog file show any activity at all between the mutt segfault and the
restart-after-reboot messages?

If a Mutt segfault is really able to lock up the system entirely, that
is a sign of a bigger problem with your kernel and/or hardware (i.e. a
user process such as Mutt should not be able to lock up the entire
system, no matter how it crashes).  Tracking down the Mutt coredump may
help you narrow down what part of the broader system is failing, but
really it seems like you are trying to figure out what system-wide
problem Mutt happens to be tickling....

                                                        Nathan