On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:40:22PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
The winner appears to be Perl, namely the Mail::Audit module (and whatever other modules it relies on). I had a couple of scripts that did gentle transformations of incoming mails.

Congratulations on tracking this down.

This is a very unpleasant surprise, I have thought of Perl and the more popular CPAN modules as the good old workhorse which would always do the job efficiently and reliably - if not always legibly :) I intentionally preferred Perl for this task over some combination of procmail, formail, sed and pcregrep which would have worked. My world is crumbling :(

I'm a bit surprised too. Although it has fallen out of favor, I have used and relied on Perl for a long time too, and it never let me down.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy