On 05.12.18 00:44, Mihai Lazarescu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 04:12:08PM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 03:41:12PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> >
> > > I am curious to know in what context "someone" felt it would
> > > make a difference.
> >
> > The ticket number is 98, but I thought mutt-users would be a better
> > place to have a discussion.
> >
> > I can't speak for the reporter, but my understanding was the desire
> > to preserve the distinction between primary recipients, towards whom
> > the conversation is directly relevant, and others who may be just
> > being kept in the loop.
>
> That's the meaning of To:/Cc: fields according to RFC5322
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.3
>
>    «The "To:" field contains the address(es) of the primary    recipient(s)
> of the message.»
>
>    «The "Cc:" field (where the "Cc" means "Carbon Copy" in    the sense of
> making a copy on a typewriter using carbon    paper) contains the addresses
> of others who are to receive    the message, though the content of the
> message may not be    directed at them.»

Yes, the separate fields replicate paper based systems with a long history
of established use. Any lack of awareness of the clear distinction
between the fields merely reveals a lack of experience of situations in
which it is important, such as in many a corporate culture. Where the
recipients are all in-house but from differing departments or teams,
then leaders will be in the To: list, and significant lieutenants (and
departments passively involved) in the Cc: list. The latter to review
the content, but reply may need to be from a leader to be acceptable.
I have been involved in cross-corporate exchanges (in between physical
meetings) where corporate relationships, contractual implications, and
domain of responsibility are important considerations. And being on the
Cc: list implied a responsibility to read and consult - not reply
unilaterally.

Thread comment: It's OK to be unaware of the usefulness of RFC features,
but it does seem odd to pretend that they're not useful just because
it's only others who need them.

Erik