On 2/06/19 9:07 PM, Jens John wrote:> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019, at 05:36, Frank Watt wrote:
>> Am I to assume that I would have had sendmail in my environment at the
>> time the deb was installed?  So I'd need to remove it so that I can
>> compile mutt with built-in SMTP.  What else would I need to bear in
>> mind?
>>
>> I'm a bit apprehensive about compiling code outside the control of a
>> package manager, but I can't see a way around it -- unless someone has
>> made a more recent .deb.
>
> (Why not just upgrade your Debian or Ubuntu release?)
There's nothing newer I can find:

https://sources.debian.org/patches/mutt/1.5.23-3/

> Anyway, whether sendmail (or compatible provider of it, such as
> postfix) is installed at compile time has, if I see it correctly, no
> bearing on whether the built-in SMTP client will be compiled or
> not. Just remember to select the configure flags you need – you
> likely want TLS support – and perhaps install into /usr/local or
> /opt/mutt if you compile from source.

Yes, I understood that. I mentioned sendmail because it evidently isn't set in Muttrc or ~/.muttrc so I figured it happened when the .deb was installed. Since I don't have any other use for sendmail, should I delete it?

> A reasonable set of configure flags yielding a versatile mutt can e.g. be found at [1].
>
> ---
> [1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mutt#n21

That's just the sort of information I was seeking.  Thanks for the tip.

Frank