On Jul 30, 2019 at 7:40, Matthias Apitz wrote:
A solution must be based on some kind of a local "database" file of threads marked as "bad" threads (perhaps as patterns) and one must actively store the given "bad" thread into it, for example with <ESC>M and then a <ESC>D would later, even in the next mutt session, read this "database" file and delete all threads from the actual mailbox for all patterns in it.

Would it be possible to keep this information in the email by, say, adding a header to it. And have mutt mark any message whose parent contains this header as read.

Something like this as a macro or hook (untested):

   <tag-pattern>~h X-Mark-Thread-Read\n<tag-prefix-cond><read-subthread>

An external tool can probably add the header if mutt can't do it.

One could also (ab)use the spam detection mechanism

   spam "X-Mark-Thread-Read" "100/NotInterested"

I'm reading this out of the NeoMutt manual, I suppose Mutt has similar functionality.

I Cc'ed the author of the article: fa...@ariis.it
Please keep him/her in Cc when you reply.

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ g...@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045