I've been trying to help someone set up mutt for gmail imap using
mutt's internal support for IMAP.

I have been going nuts.  Something's wrong but I cannot figure out why it fails.

I just remembered that gmail has to have IMAP switched ON by using the
gmail settings online.:

For the Gmail IMAP settings to work in your email client, IMAP access
must be enabled in Gmail online.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-enable-gmail-via-imap-1170856

HOW TO Activate IMAP in Gmail

To access a Gmail account in your email program or mobile device via
the IMAP protocol, activate IMAP in Gmail.

Open Gmail in a web browser.

Choose Settings (the gear icon).

Select Settings.

Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.

In the IMAP access section, select Enable IMAP.

Leave the other settings on the default selections.

Select Save Changes.

That's it.

Duh!  It's been so long since I enabled that setting, I forgot it had
to be done.

Regards,

David