Hi raf,

On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 11:20:54AM +1000, raf wrote:

I wrote a tool for replacing non-text attachments in email with text
versions. It's at http://raf.org/textmail.

Thank you so much for writting textmail, which is exactly what I needed
and much more.  It is much cooler than I could ever imagine for a tool
like that.

By default, it replaces HTML attachments with inline plain text
attachments that contain just the text within the original document.
It also reduces text-versus-html alternative attachments to just the
text part. It needs lynx to be installed.

If that's the only transformation you want, you'll need to supply lots
of options to prevent other default actions. Something like this:

  textmail -MWERPULIAVXBS

For the moment, to proccess the few mailboxes I already have (mainly
from email lists) that's the only transformation needed (there aren't
any images or attached files, just the nasty text/html that doubles (or
almost) the size the mailboxes take.  In the future, I'll probably be
doing other transformations as well for my daily incoming mail.

That suppresses translating and deleting anything else, just HTML.

It works very nicely, thank you, except for 33 messages out of 3336 that
result in totaly empty mail (OK), with no content (not even headers).

You can use it in a procmail recipe or apply it to mbox files.

For the moment I'm using a bash for loop, since I have all my mail
stored using the Maildir format (one file per message).

WARNING: Please verify it carefully and make sure it's doing what you
want before deleting the original mailboxes. Anything that transforms
your email should not be trusted until you have reason to trust it.

Sure. The first thing my imapfilter config file has is a recipe to make
a copy on a mail folder called bak on the IMAP server, and only then it
starts procesing mail.

In any case, for this particular case, I'm reading mail from my local
original mailbox and writting the output of textmail also into a local
testing mailfolder.

Until now I haven't done any processing with imapfilter other than some
subject line substitutions and mail folder sorting, but I guess it
should be possible to use textmail with imapfilter like with procmail,
to preprocess email on the IMAP server before fetching it with mbsyn,
right?

Again thank you so much for such a great tool!

Cheers,
Ángel