On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 06:55:51PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 05:02:08PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > However there is a minor downside in the file browser (well directory
> > browser really isn't it), the information shown against the
> > directories (at the bottom level these are maildir mailboxes) is
> > pretty useless, what I am seeing now is like the following:-
> >
> >      selling/                         Sep 25 12:39     0K
> >      shopping/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
> >      software/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
> >      telecoms/                        Sep 25 12:39     0K
> >
> > No size information and the date is just the date of creation of the
> > parent directory, not the latest message.  With mbox you get a 'last
> > message' date and a meaningful size.
>
> They may be maildirs, but in the file browser they are directories,
> for the purpose of navigating the file system.  In that context, the
> fact that they are maildirs is not relevant:  In the context of
> browsing files, you want info about the files, which is what Mutt
> gives you.  This is somewhat configurable (see the manual about
> folder_format), but it's not going to give you any info about the mail
> that's in those directories... Wrong context.

But in the mutt/mail context they're mailboxes, I (the user) don't
care what the underlying technology is.  Surely mutt can take a look
into directories and, if they're maildir mailboxes, act accordingly
and present the user with useful information.  Putting programmer hat
on again, maybe make this an option as it might take too long on slow
systems.

--
Chris Green