Jude, I find your email puzzling. I don't believe there've been any recent
outages of Gmail's IMAP service, i.e. nothing that would prevent mutt from
connecting to Gmail and retrieving mail. Can you be more clear about what
problem are trying to address, and how you might solve it?

There was a recent outage Gmail outage that prevented Gmail's SMTP inbound
servers from receiving email to Gmail users, and cause that mail to bounce.
See, variously:
  Hacker News   https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25436062
  Google's app dashboard
https://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&sid=1&iid=a8b67908fadee664c68c240ff9f529ab
  Google's alleged "incident report"
http://www.google.com/appsstatus/ir/4et50yp2ckm8otv.pdf (linked from the
dashboard).

You can also monitor Google's appstatus dashboard via RSS at
https://www.google.com/appsstatus/rss/en

--
jh...@alum.mit.edu
John Hawkinson