On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:04:03PM -0600, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21/02/16 12:28AM, Øyvind A. Holm wrote:

> > > It is used if you have any alternate or old email addresses.
> > > `alternates` makes it possible for Mutt to mark messages in the index
> > > with "F" (from one of your addresses), "+" or "T" (to one of your
> > > addresses), etc. For example,
> > >
> > >    alternates job_em...@example.net
> > >    alternates old_em...@example.com
> > >    alternates another_...@example.org
> > >
> > > Now Mutt knows that all these addresses belong to you.
> >
> > A small correction (even though the above example will work). The
> > parameter after `alternates` is a regexp, so a more correct way to write
> > them would be
> >
> >    alternates ^job_email@example\.net$
> >    alternates ^old_email@example\.com$
> >    alternates ^another_old@example\.org$
> >
> > to avoid false positives with for example "yet_another_...@example.org".
>
> So is this mostly to provide labeling information in the index?  I suppose it
> might be usable for some sort of filtering purposes...
>
> --
> Wishing you only the best,
>
> boB Stepp

Alternates is also relevant for the reverse_name setting:

   reverse_name
     Type: boolean
     Default: no

         It may sometimes arrive that you receive mail to a
         certain  machine,  move  the  messages  to
         another machine, and reply to some the messages
         from there.  If this variable is set, the default
         From: line of the reply messages is built using
         the address where you received the messages you
         are  replying  to  if that  address  matches  your
         “alternates”.  If the variable is unset, or the
         address that would be used doesn't match your
         “alternates”, the From: line will use your address
         on the current machine.

     Also see the “alternates” command.

Very handy when you have hundreds of email addresses.

cheers,
raf