On 28Mar2021 14:04, Andy Spiegl <mutt.a...@spiegl.de> wrote:
>>     open some-directory-name
>Oh, MacOS !  :-)

Well sure. Great desktop, BSD UNIX underneath. And, frankly, really nice
hardware.

>> Though I suppose that makes it part of my desktop environment. Which
>> might be what you intended.
>Yes.
>
>> Oh, me too. See the apphelper script :-)
>Nice.  Tried to get it to run on my Linux machine

It was written on Linux.

>but after downloading and adapting quite a few dependant scripts of yours
>I followed the 80% - 20% rule and gave up for now.

I know this isn't your priority, but ideally my scripts should not need
adaption. Can you tell me what kind of changes you were trying?

The tissue paper effect means often the easy thing is the /opt/css
install tarball, then ". /opt/css/env.sh" in your .profile (at the end,
so nothing preempts your preferred stuff - it is all "additional").

apphelper runs of the standard mime files (mime.types and the other one,
mailcap). The "ah" wrapper script (in bin-cs/) was how I usually used
it.

Example mailcap entries:

    image/png; ah %s -1 xv; gui
    image/octet-stream; ah %s -1 xv; gui

>Thanks - I learned a lot today!

Excellent! Anything that's unclear, just ask.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>