On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:22:59PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > > Anything other than alphabatical sorting is pretty useless with a long
> > > list of directories, especially as it often puts .. somewhere other
> > > than at the top.
> [...]
> > I have a patch which automatically changes to alphabetical sorting when
> > showing directory contents (this requires to build from source).
>
> I have wanted this forever and have just been too lazy to hack up a
> patch for it.  I do not think any other behavior makes sense, and I do
> think this should be the default behavior.  Thanks.
>
> I haven't (yet) looked at the context of the patch so I won't comment
> on it other than to say I would probably use bool (from stdbool.h)
> instead of short--It conceptually  matches the intent of the code and
> FWIW has been available since C99.
Thanks for the feedback. The reason why I picked a short was to stick as
close as possible to the original coding style (from my limited
knowledge about the code base). Other than that, you raise valid points.

> One could argue there should be a config variable to control this
> sorting behavior, but I personally would neither make nor support that
> argument. =8^)
As you said yourself, no other behavior makes sense. Either you agree
and apply the patch or you don't - no need for a config variable. ;)
And you can still change the sort order while examining the directory.