Hi,

I honestly don't know if the old modem had an integrated router, and I
have already disposed of it. What I am sure of is that I had NOT
changed anything in its settings for many months, if not years, and
everything was working without problems until a few weeks ago, when I
posted here. Also, why would any modem come from the factory, or be
remotely updated by an ISP in ways that interfere with an absolutely
basic use case of hundreds millions of people, that is keeping one's
email client connected to its IMAP server for hours?

As for the new one, I cannot check it right now because I am not at
home, but it is working, so whatever it does, it is OK.

Marco