My IT department disabled POP/IMAP/SMTP because at the time we went live
Exchange Online didn't support X/OAUTH2 (a.k.a "modern auth"), so one could
bypass 2FA by using POP/IMAP/SMTP.

However, Microsoft announced X/OAUTH2 support for Exchange Online in April
2020. From what I've seen, one can disable the other auth methods and only
allow XOAUTH2.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/blogs/announcing-oauth-2-0-support-for-imap-smtp-client-protocols-in-exchange-online/

<https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/blogs/announcing-oauth-2-0-support-for-imap-smtp-client-protocols-in-exchange-online/>

It also appears that this functionality can be enabled on a per-mailbox basis.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/announcing-oauth-2-0-support-for-imap-and-smtp-auth-protocols-in/bc-p/1544725/highlight/true#M28589

<https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/announcing-oauth-2-0-support-for-imap-and-smtp-auth-protocols-in/bc-p/1544725/highlight/true#M28589>

I've successfully used XOAUTH2 auth via IMAP with Gmail with mutt, so it's
definitely possible provided that your IT department enables XOAUTH2.

-Jason

--
Jason White
jdwh...@menelos.com