Is there any way that one can overcome this major disadvantage of
maildir?

Since maildir messages are saved in sub-directories of the named
'maildir directory' there seems to be no practical way to do sorting
of maildirs on anything but name.

What I'd really like to be able to do is to sort on date of last
message.

For example I have a 'shopping/diy' directory which has lots of
sub-directories like 'glue', 'grease', 'lynchpins', etc.  It would be
really handy if I could sort the directories within 'diy' by date as
then the most used ones (or the most recently used ones) would be at
the top of the listing and quicker to get to.  However, as far as I
understand things, this isn't possible with maildir as the date on the
*directory* (e.g. the date on 'glue' or 'lynchpin') is the date of
creation of the directory which might be years ago when I first bought
some glue.

If these were mbox mailboxes then they'd be a file whose date would
reflect the last entry which would be exactly what I want.

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep my saved files (i.e. those in
'shopping/diy' etc.) as mbox and just use maildir for the live
incoming mail (i.e. those in my 'mailboxes' list).  It's only in the
incoming mailboxes that the 'no locking needed' abilities of maildir
are useful.

Is there some incatation of folder-hook I can use to set mbox_type to
different things for different places?

--
Chris Green