On Sunday, September 12, 2021, 09:55:56 AM CDT, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
wrote:

* Globe Trotter via Mutt-users <mutt-users@mutt.org> [2021-09-12 17:47]:
> Thank you for this. OK, so you are correct in that doing nothing
> works on my office machine but not when I connect to it remotely to
> deliver my mail using ssh -L etc and am using that server to deliver
> my email.

Good that you explained your method of the connection.

And did you verify that you can reach localhost at port 25 with
certainty?

You can verify it by using `telnet':

$ telnet localhost 25

and if there is banner then you have SMTP server forwarded to local

host.

Ports under 1024 can be forwarded only as `root' as they are
considered privileged.

If you cannot reach the port 25 on localhost try forwarding it to port
1025 and then dispatch to that port.

--
Jean

So, I do not know if I can do this, but I can send email by specifically
including the smtp with port 25. I dont really need it for anything else. It is
quite likely that I am not understanding the import of your question.

All I do is:

sudo  ssh -L 25:mailhub:25 username@your_server

And then, configuring 'localhost' as my smtp server on port 25 gets my mail
sent directly forward through the SSH link.

Thanks!